Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Meghan Saves A Life

This evening Meghan witnessed a fledgling fall from his nest. He was an adorable little thing! Meghan raced off to find a worm for him. A moment later she returned and tried to feed it to the bird. It was so sweet. I wish I'd had my camera with me! Meanwhile four other parents from the cul-de-sac gathered around and we discussed what to do with the little guy. Meghan wanted to keep him. She said she'd even let me cut her hair (gasp!) if I let her keep the baby bird. I was seriously considering that, since I'm dying to cut her hair off -- mainly because it is so hard to look for ticks in such long thick hair (it's a matter of practicality, especially since deer regularly visit our yard!) However, one mom spotted the nest and it was easily reachable by ladder. So we decided to return the baby to the nest. One dad got a ladder, another mom scooped up the birdy and handed it to him, and he set the bird back in the nest. And that was the end of that. Meghan was a little bummed that she didn't get to bring him home, but she was proud when I told her she saved his life. Later I read on the internet that you are NOT supposed to return fledglings to the nest. Babies, yes, fledglings, no. Oops. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment